R3,150.00 – R5,250.00
The Roorkhee Chair was originally designed as a campaign chair for British Army officers. The components simply slide into one another and are held firmly in place by the seat, backrest and leather belts. When not in use the Roorkhee folds into a neat little bundle that slips into the (optional) bag supplied. That being said, it is such a beautiful and original piece that most owners keep theirs set up for everyday use.
The Roorkhee is ideal for camp or lodge environments and adds a real touch of class. One of the great advantages of the Roorkhee is that the joints are mobile and allow the chair to adjust to uneven ground. A tall version is available for dining or office use, while the standard is ideal for sitting around the camp fire or chilling on your stoep.
The traditional cover for the Roorkhee chair is double padded genuine old-fashioned cotton canvas. If you want to really spoil yourself or impress your guests, then go for the beautifully decadent pure veg tanned safari leather. If you plan to leave the chair out of doors in rain and shine then consider UV stabilised waterproof ripstop canvas.
- Origin: Zimbabwe
- Finishes: Oil or Lacquer
- Sizes:High Chair or Standard Chair
- Material: Zambezi Teak or African Bloodwood
The chair components are hand turned from 50mm (2”0) square select hardwood sections. The artisan’s skill is such that he turns the legs and rails to exact detail by eye. The male tenon on the rails fit exactly into the female mortice on the legs with sufficient play to allow the easy assembly of the chair and for the chair to adjust to uneven ground.
- Sizes & weights:
|Zambezi Teak high chair||940mm (38”)||600mm (24”)||10kg (22lbs)|
|African Bloodwood high chair||940mm (38”)||600mm (24”)||6kg (13lbs)|
|Zambezi Teak standard chair||835mm (33.5”)||600mm (24”)||9kg (20lbs)|
|African Bloodwood standard chair||835mm (33.5”)||600mm (24”)||5.5Kg (12lbs)|
Material used: 2 African hardwoods are available.
- Zambezi Teak (Baikiaea plurijuga) formerly known as Rhodesian Teak . One of the hardest timbers in the world of exceptional beauty and grain.
- African Bloodwood (Pterocarpus angolensis) aka Kiaat or Mukwa. A much lighter hardwood than Zambezi Teak, Bloodwood is a fine hardwood that finishes exceptionally well and has a very rich, mixed grain and colour varying from honey brown to deep red brown.
- The standard finish for our Roorkhee chairs is an oil finish, ideal for an outdoor environment. The oil finish brings out the beautiful colour and grain of the African hardwood used to make the chair.
- For a more ornamental indoor chair a Teak lacquer finish is available. This has a more polished appearance than the oil.
Enquiries and orders: please take a little time to fill out the form on the ‘Contact Us’ page and an agent will get back to you as soon as possible. Safari Director’s chairs are normally available ex -stock, but please allow a couple of weeks for the covers of your choice to be made up.
- Price excludes delivery / freight charges quoted separately.
- The following discounts apply for large orders:
- More than 10 chairs – 10%.
- More than 30 chairs – 15%
- Your Roorkhee Chairs will be carefully packed in a double walled cardboard crate, 4 to a crate, padded with air-o-thene foam.
- Packed Sizes:
|950mm (38”)||550mm (22”)||375mm (15”)|
Approximate shipping costs (crate of 4 chairs):
|Australia New Zealand||$550.00|
|North, West East Africa||$550.00|