R4,550.00 – R6,300.00
What a chair! Børge Mogensen designed the Spanish Chair in 1958 after seeing similar chairs in his family travels to Spain. In Andalucía he fell in love with an old chair with a wide seat and broad armrests. Once back in Denmark, he modernised the design by removing the elaborate carvings, and thus he created his own version with his customary geometrical precision. Yet he retained the most important feature: the broad armrests that give the chair its distinctive character.
By designing the Spanish Chair, Mogensen proved that he did not need to use steel or plastic to be innovative. The African Touch’s version of the Spanish chair is expertly handmade using the finest joinery skills, from Zambezi Teak and leather. This gives it a strong, masculine character, and ensures that the chair ages beautifully. The straps allow that the back can be tightened as the leather expands, which means that you can sit securely and comfortably in this chair from day one – making it the most comfortable armchair to while away your leisure time reading a great book or chatting to friends.
- Origin: Zimbabwe
- Finishes: Oil, Lacquer, and White Liming
- Sizes: Single. Double and Triple
- Covers: Full thickness, Auto fabric, Cotton canvas covers or Ripstop canvas
- Material: Zambezi Teak or African Bloodwood
Sizes & weights:
|Zambezi Teak||680mm (27”)||800mm (32”)||600mm (24”)||15kg (33lbs)|
|African Bloodwood||680mm (27”)||800mm (32”)||600mm (24”)||9kg (20lbs)|
- Full thickness, pure veg tanned harness leather, is our ‘flagship’ cover. A deep, rich brown colour give it a wonderful opulence and it will last for generations if looked after. A natural material, it is the most comfortable seating in all climatic conditions.
- Auto fabric. This is used in the automotive industry and is very similar in texture and feel to cotton canvas. However, it is very hard wearing indeed, colour fast, UV stabilised, unaffected by sweat or spillage and repels water and dirt. An excellent choice of cover available in sand, grey and black
- Cotton canvas covers. Luxuriously soft relaxing. Double sided sandwiching a comfortable padding.
- Ripstop canvas is extremely strong and both waterproof & UV resistant, making it ideal for chairs that will be used out of doors, though it does look stunning indoors. It also comes padded and double sided, and is available in green or sand.
- The African Touch Spanish Chair is expertly handmade using the finest joinery skills. It is assembled with tight fitting mortice & tenon joints. As these joints have to be angled to provide for the angles of the legs, cross beams and armrest relative to each other and they are difficult to cut accurately, a skill we have mastered and take great pride in at The African Touch. Other chair makers join with dowels and / or screws hidden under plugs, and these chairs can easily fail. However, built correctly as we do, the chair will not come apart even under conditions of heavy use.
- Your Spanish Chairs are shipped carefully packed in a double walled cardboard crate, 2 to a crate, padded with air-o-thene foam.
|33kg (73lbs)||1100mm (44”)||820mm (33”)||700mm (28”)|
Approximate shipping costs:
|Australia New Zealand||$550.00|
|North, West East Africa||$550.00|
|Southern Africa||Per destination|
Enquiries and orders: Safari Director’s chairs are normally available ex -stock, but please allow a couple of weeks for the covers of your choice to be made up.
- Price excludes delivery / freight charges quoted separately.
- The following discounts apply for large orders:
- More than 4 chairs – 10%.
- More than 10 chairs – 15%