Børge Mogensen designed his famous Spanish Chair in 1958 (considered one of the finest designs to come out of the “Danish Modern” era). The African Touch have retained the classic features of the original design while perfecting its construction.
The principal features that give The Spanish Chair such character are the broad armrests (very practical place for your favourite refreshment!) and the low slung seat held by beautifully angled legs. This makes for the most comfortable armchair to while away your leisure time reading a great book or chatting to friends.
The African Touch Spanish chair is expertly handmade using the finest joinery skills. It is assembled with tight fitting mortice & tenon joints. As these joints have to be angled to provide for the angles of the legs, cross beams and armrest relative to each other and they are difficult to cut accurately, a skill we have mastered and take great pride in at The African Touch. Other chair makers join with dowels and / or screws hidden under plugs, and these chairs can easily fail. However, built correctly as we do, the chair will not come apart even under conditions of heavy use.
We offer the Spanish Chair in three timber options.
- Zambezi Teak, formerly known as Rhodesian Teak, is a very hard timber with an attractive, deep, rich golden red brown grain. Its extreme density means that the timber is virtually indestructible, but this makes it heavier than the other two options.
- African Bloodwood (a.k.a kiaat or mukwa). The grain is fine, with beautiful mixed colour and works well into perfect joints. Much lighter in weight it is perfect where chairs will be moved regularly.
- Saligna is a light coloured hardwood ideal for our white liming finish products.
The timber finish also has three options.
- An oil finish enriches the wonderful grain of the timbers used in a natural manner. Easy to apply, it is ideal for both indoor and outdoor use.
- A lacquer finish is suitable for indoor use, and brings out the beautiful colour and grain of the timber.
- White liming is a very attractive painted effect that keeps the piece light and fresh throughout its life with a hint of the underlying grain coming through.
The covers on offer. Three again!
- Full thickness, pure veg tanned harness leather, is our ‘flagship’ cover. A deep, rich brown colour give it a wonderful opulence and it will last for generations if looked after. A natural material, it is the most comfortable seating in all climatic conditions.
- Cotton canvas covers. Luxuriously soft relaxing. Double sided sandwiching a comfortable padding.
- Ripstop canvas is extremely strong and both waterproof & UV resistant, making it ideal for chairs that will be used out of doors, though it does look stunning indoors. It also comes padded and double sided, and is available in green or sand.