Spanish Chair – Børge Mogensen
What a chair! Børge Mogensen designed the Spanish Chair in 1958 after seeing similar chairs in his family travels to Spain. In Andalucia he fell in love with an old chair with a wide seat and broad armrests. Once back in Denmark, he modernised the design by removing the elaborate carvings, and thus he created his own version with his customary geometrical precision. Yet he retained the most important feature: the broad armrests that give the chair its distinctive character.
By designing the Spanish Chair, Mogensen proved that he did not need to use steel or plastic to be innovative. The African Touch’s version of the Spanish chair is expertly handmade using the finest joinery skills, from Zambezi Teak and leather. This gives it a strong, masculine character, and ensures that the chair ages beautifully. The straps allow that the back can be tightened as the leather expands, which means that you can sit securely and comfortably in this chair from day one – making it the most comfortable armchair to while away your leisure time reading a great book or chatting to friends.
We offer the Spanish Chair in three timber options.
- Zambezi Teak, formerly known as Rhodesian Teak, is a very hard timber with an attractive, deep, rich golden red brown grain. Its extreme density means that the timber is virtually indestructible, but this makes it heavier than the other two options.
- African Bloodwood (a.k.a kiaat or mukwa). The grain is fine, with beautiful mixed colour and works well into perfect joints. Much lighter in weight it is perfect where chairs will be moved regularly.
- Saligna is a light coloured hardwood ideal for our white liming finish products.
The timber finish also has three options.
- An oil finish enriches the wonderful grain of the timbers used in a natural manner. Easy to apply, it is ideal for both indoor and outdoor use.
- A lacquer finish is suitable for indoor use, and brings out the beautiful colour and grain of the timber.
- White liming is a very attractive painted effect that keeps the piece light and fresh throughout its life with a hint of the underlying grain coming through.
The covers on offer. Three again!
- Full thickness, pure veg tanned harness leather, is our ‘flagship’ cover. A deep, rich brown colour give it a wonderful opulence and it will last for generations if looked after. A natural material, it is the most comfortable seating in all climatic conditions.
- Cotton canvas covers. Luxuriously soft relaxing. Double sided sandwiching a comfortable padding.
- Ripstop canvas is extremely strong and both waterproof & UV resistant, making it ideal for chairs that will be used out of doors, though it does look stunning indoors. It also comes padded and double sided, and is available in green or sand.