Kruger Directors Chair
SKU: 54764564edxxx-1-1-1-2*Select an option Made to Order
The African Touch Kruger folding Director’s Chair is an upmarket and unique version of the classic Director’s Chair traditionally used on film sets and African safaris! The beautifully hand turned components are measured by the expert eye of our master craftsmen. Solid brass hinges compliment the hand worked Zambezi Teak. The result is utility chair of rare beauty and elegance. The Kruger retains the comfort of our other Chairs, and is built with brass fittings and genuine antique bovine leather covers. High quality Auto seat material covers are also available.
For more information on this chair please see the Description tab below.
We wanted a very upmarket Director’s Chair for clients who want to distinguish their properties from those purchasing our other Director’s Chairs. Richard Lowe thought long and hard about this, and decided to build a chair using all turned components in Zambezi Teak. Even the tenon joints are turned on the lathe by hand to exactly fit mortice holes that were pre-drilled into the square stock. The beautifully hand turned components are measured by the expert eye of our master craftsmen. We then commissioned the connecting hinges out of solid polished brass, and decided on an antique genuine leather double quilted seat and back cover. The result is a unique chair that has certainly grabbed the attention of many interior decorators.
The material used.
The Kruger Director’s Chair uses solid brass hinges compliment the hand worked Zambezi Teak. Zambezi teak is a very attractive red-brown timber and exceptionally hard. Our normal finishing coat is a lacquer, but an oil finish is also available.
Seat covers can be either quilted genuine upholstery leather or a high quality Auto seat canvas designed for top of the range SUVs.
Where is the Kruger Director’s Chair used?
Generally the Kruger Director’s Chair is purchased by upmarket Safari Lodges for their dining chairs. They have also been purchased as office chairs and for verandas.
The chair often sells with the Expedition Folding Table
Looking after the Kruger Director's Chair
Looking after the Kruger Director's Chair
Lacquered Kruger Director’s Chair.
To protect your lacquered finish place your Kruger Director’s Chairs away from direct sunlight. Apply a good furniture wax or polish, initially twice a month, thereafter once a month. Apply sufficient to thinly cover the surface. As it dries (becomes dull) buff with a clean cloth until a beautiful sheen is achieved. Between waxings, keep the finish clean with a soft cloth or duster, and buff without wax.
Oiled Kruger Director’s Chair.
Your oiled African Touch Kruger Director’s Chair receives three applications of Satinwood 28 Base oil prior to delivery. Our outlets carry stock, or you can find it in most hardware shops in South Africa. We recommend you do one application on installation of the furniture. From time to time you will need to re-apply the oil. If the furniture is used outdoors, please do the re-application every 3 months. When in doubt, re-apply when the finish looks faded or dry. The recommended application procedure is as follows:
- Wipe surface down with a clean cotton cloth lightly moistened with mineral turpentine. (Ensure that all surfaces are completely dry and clean before proceeding with the next step)
- Use a clean cotton cloth or soft bristled brush dipped in the oil and apply in light, short strokes, ensuring thorough and even distribution of the oil.
- Leave the oil on the furniture for at least 1 to 2 hours (but not more than 24 hours), to allow absorption into the wood.
- Use a clean cotton cloth and wipe off all excess liquid to leave a natural smooth finish.
- Allow to dry for approximately 24 hours.
If the surface of your furniture becomes a bit grimy over time it can be very effectively cleaned with Deckwash from Timberlife. Apply with a clean cloth. Work in well over the total surface and wipe off all excess liquid.
If a wet glass or similar is left on the surface it may leave a watermark. In this case please wipe the water off as soon as possible, and if necessary apply some more Satinwood 28 base. If the mark is still slightly visible you can rub with a little baking soda mixed with an equal part of water, wipe off with a damp cloth and re-apply the oil.
To protect and nourish your leather covers, we recommend you use Hide Food from Stapol. We carry stocks of Hide Food in our outlets should you require it.
Firstly clean the leather with a damp cloth. Hide Food should always be applied using a lint free cloth, a natural or synthetic sponge using an even circular motion. Drying is temperature related but the cream generally dries in a couple of minutes after which it can be buffed with a polish brush or soft cloth. It will renovate and provide an elegant lustre. It also provides a good degree of water resistance.
For orders of 10 or more chairs we offer a 10% discount. For large orders including multiple products please contact us for our offer.
- The Kruger Director’s Chair is constructed using turned tenon joints that fit very accurately into a precision drilled mortice, giving the joint strength and reliability.
- The hinges are solid brass, making them ideal for use in coastal areas while imparting a sense of luxury on the chairs.
Seat covers can be:
- Auto fabric. This is used in the automotive industry and is very similar in texture and feel to cotton canvas. However, it is very hard wearing indeed, colour fast, UV stabilised, unaffected by sweat or spillage and repels water and dirt. An excellent choice of cover available in sand, grey and black.
- Luxurious genuine double padded bovine leather.
Sizes & weights:
|Zambezi Teak||900mm (36”)||700mm (28”)||8kg (18lbs)|
|African Bloodwood||900mm (36”)||700mm (28”)||4.8kg (10.5lbs)|
Material used: 2 African hardwoods are available.
- Zambezi Teak (Baikiaea plurijuga) formerly known as Rhodesian Teak . One of the hardest timbers in the world of exceptional beauty and grain.
- African Bloodwood (Pterocarpus angolensis) aka Kiaat or Mukwa. A much lighter hardwood than Zambezi Teak , Bloodwood is a fine hardwood that finishes exceptionally well and has a very rich, mixed grain and colour varying from honey brown to deep red brown.
- Oil finish, ideal for indoors or outdoors.
- Lacquer brings out the beautiful grain of the timber. Suitable for indoors.
We cannot offer a warrantee on chairs except for defects in material and workmanship that affect the integrity of the chair under normal use and weight limits. The reason for this is that chairs can be subject to huge stresses (such as when a heavy person rocks back on the back legs) that are impossible to compensate for in the construction of the chair without compromising on the design appeal.
The African Touch will not in any circumstances be liable for any claim which falls outside the scope of our warranty or for any consequential damages whatsoever.
|Weight||8kg(18lbs)||10kg (22lbs)||7.3kg (16lbs)||6kg (13lbs)|
|Leather seat option||Yes||Yes||No||No|
|Suitable for commercial use||Yes||Yes||Yes||No|
|Weight limit||120kg (260lb)||140kg (300lb)||120kg (260lb)||100kg (220lb)|
|Suitable for outdoor use||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|