Safari Director’s Chair
SKU: 54764564edxxx-1-1-1-1-2*Select an option In Stock
Seat covers include hand stitched, full thickness bovine harness leather. Very comfortable Auto canvas designed for 4×4 vehicles. Ripstop canvas as used to make tents. Tough, waterproof, ideal for hardwearing situations out of doors.
The African Touch Safari Director’s Chair is a version of the classic folding camp director’s chair traditionally used on African safaris. We have designed this folding safari chair with an extra wide self-tightening seat and broad armrest for added comfort. Safari Directors chairs fold for convenient storage, and have a wide range of uses. Their superb comfort make them ideal for long evenings spent round the dining table with friends, as a desk chair or a casual chair on the veranda or around the camp fire. They are popular on boats, in restaurants and bush camps!
Seat Covers we offer:
Several seat covers are available.
- Hand stitched and riveted, full thickness bovine harness leather. The leather is pure veg tanned, which prevents stretching associated with other tanning processes. This makes the leather hard to work, but very durable.
- Beautiful, very comfortable Auto canvas designed for 4×4 vehicles – can have an attractive genuine leather trim.
- Ripstop canvas as used to make tents. Tough, waterproof, ideal for hardwearing situations out of doors.
- For the purists we can offer old fashioned cotton canvas covers. However, we should point out that cotton canvas does tend to rot over time if left in the rain.
- After years of use, the canvas covers can become worn and possibly torn. Our covers are a standard size so replacement covers can easily be ordered from the factory or agent. A canvas chair cover is also available to protect your chairs if you wish to lave them out of doors in all weather.
The evolution of our Director’s Chairs.
The African touch Director’s Chairs have been around for thirty years now, and the safari chair is our best seller. They have been shipped to every continent bar Antarctica (at least not that we know of!). We have made over thirty thousand of these chairs and have continually refined the design into what we consider if the best on the market.
Every joint is carefully measured using a Vernier caliper to ensure a perfect fit and the optimum amount of wood glue is applied. Our chairs are designed without any spacers between the legs as these can fail and cause the chair to become unstable. As a result, the chair armrests are offset when folded, but this has no bearing on the comfort of the chair. The seat is set at just the right tension so that it is always taught but also at the right height to sit. Stainless steel or brass fittings can be provided especially for chairs to be used on the coast.
Safari Director Chair Maintenance
Safari Director Chair Maintenance
Your oiled African Touch products receive two to three applications of Satinwood 28 Base oil prior to delivery. Our outlets carry stock, or you can find it in most hardware shops in South Africa. We recommend you do one application on installation of the furniture. From time to time you will need to re-apply the oil. If the furniture is used outdoors, please do the re-application at least every 6 months, preferably every 3 months. When in doubt, re-apply when the finish looks faded or dry. The recommended application procedure is as follows:
- Wipe surface down with a clean cotton cloth lightly moistened with mineral turpentine. (Ensure that all surfaces are completely dry and clean before proceeding with the next step)
- Use a clean cotton cloth or soft bristled brush dipped in the oil and apply in light, short strokes, ensuring thorough and even distribution of the oil.
- Leave the oil on the furniture for at least 1 to 2 hours (but not more than 24 hours), to allow absorption into the wood.
- Use a clean cotton cloth and wipe off all excess liquid to leave a natural smooth finish.
- Allow to dry for approximately 24 hours.
If the surface of your furniture becomes a bit grimy over time it can be very effectively cleaned with Deckwash from Timberlife. Apply with a clean cloth. Work in well over the total surface and wipe off all excess liquid.
If a wet glass or similar is left on the surface it may leave a watermark. In this case please wipe the water off as soon as possible, and if necessary apply some more Satinwood 28 base. If the mark is still slightly visible you can rub with a little baking soda mixed with an equal part of water, wipe off with a damp cloth and re-apply the oil.
To protect and nourish your leather covers, we recommend you use Hide Food from Stapol. We carry stocks of Hide Food in our outlets should you require it.
Firstly clean the leather with a damp cloth. Hide Food should always be applied using a lint free cloth, a natural or synthetic sponge using an even circular motion. Drying is temperature related but the cream generally dries in a couple of minutes after which it can be buffed with a polish brush or soft cloth. It will renovate and provide an elegant lustre. It also provides a good degree of water resistance.
For orders of 10 or more chairs we offer a 10% discount. For large orders including multiple products please contact us for our offer.
Sizes & weights:
|Zambezi Teak||900mm (36”)||700mm (28”)||10kg (22lbs)|
- Zambezi Teak (Baikiaea plurijuga) formerly known as Rhodesian Teak . One of the hardest timbers in the world of exceptional beauty and grain.
- The standard finish for our folding Safari Director’s chairs is an oil finish, ideal for an outdoor environment.
- Your Safari Director’s Chairs will be carefully packed in a double walled cardboard crate, 4 to a crate, padded with air-o-thene foam.
- Packed Sizes:
|920mm (37”)||560mm (23”)||940mm (38”)||43kg (95lbs)|
Approximate shipping costs (crate of 4 chairs):
|Australia New Zealand||$550.00|
|North, West East Africa||$550.00|
|Southern Africa||Per destination|
Enquiries and orders: please take a little time to fill out the form on the ‘Contact Us’ page and an agent will get back to you as soon as possible. Safari Director’s chairs are normally available ex -stock, but please allow a couple of weeks for the covers of your choice to be made up.
- Price excludes delivery / freight charges quoted separately.
- The following discounts apply for large orders:
- More than 10 chairs – 10%.
|United States Dollars||South African Rand|
|Leather||$ 265.00||R 3 700.00|
|Padded cotton or Auto canvas||$ 170.00||R 2 380.00|
|Single cotton or Auto canvas||$ 157.50||R 2 200.00|
|Quilted ripstop canvas||$ 150.00||R 2 100.00|
|Single ripstop canvas||$ 140.00||R 1 960.00|
|Drinks Tray||$ 45.00||R 630.00|
|500 x 500 folding table||$ 95.00||R 1 330.00|
|650 x 500 folding table||$ 125.00||R 1 750.00|
We cannot offer a warrantee on chairs except for defects in material and workmanship that affect the integrity of the chair under normal use and weight limits. The reason for this is that chairs can be subject to huge stresses (such as when a heavy person rocks back on the back legs) that are impossible to compensate for in the construction of the chair without compromising on the design appeal.
We build with timber harvested from natural forests. The charm of this material is that no two pieces are exactly the same in colour, character or grain, and they will contain natural imperfections such as knots, stress cracks and so on that enhance their authenticity and attractiveness. As a result no 2 pieces will ever be identical and products may have natural imperfections. However, these will never be allowed to compromise the quality of construction of your piece.
The African Touch will not in any circumstances be liable for any claim which falls outside the scope of our warranty or for any consequential damages whatsoever.
|Weight||10kg (22lbs)||7.3kg (16lbs)||6kg (13lbs)|
|Leather seat option||Yes||No||No|
|Suitable for commercial use||Yes||Yes||No|
|Weight limit||140kg (300lb)||120kg (260lb)||100kg (220lb)|
|Suitable for outdoor use||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Price single canvas||$ 140.00||$ 110.00||$ 85.00|