Standard Director’s Chair
SKU: 54764564edxxx-1-1-1-1-1*Select an option In Stock
The Standard Director’s Chair is an exceptionally tough, versatile and comfortable chair with wide seat that is suitable for private use, in camps and lodges, around the bush fire or on boat cruises.
It is an affordable but still very robust version of The African Touch Safari Director’s chair, and has the same extra wide self-tightening seat and folds away neatly for hassle free storage.
Seat covers are UV stabilised, waterproof ripstop canvas (double padded and quilted or single). Standard colours are Howard Green and Sand.
For more information please see ‘Description’ below.
The Standard Director’s Chair is an affordable but still very robust version of The African Touch Safari Director’s chair and has the same extra wide self-tightening seat and folds away neatly for hassle free storage. It is designed with the same offset legs to avoid spacers that often fall apart. The moving parts are simple but very strong, so they will not fail. A big problem with Director’s Chairs is the point where the seat cover is attached to the seat rail. This is often done with a wire or timber dowel that tends to fail. We have overcome this by having special steel cleats laser cut (so every one is identical) and screwed through the canvas cover into the timber rail. This is very secure whilst still being easy to change the covers after several years if necessary.
The armrests are not as wide as those of the Safari Chair. This allows them to be folded narrower assisting with storage.
Materials used and covers offered:
The Standard Director’s Chair is built from eucalyptus plantation hardwood, sourced in the Eastern Highlands of Zimbabwe. This timber is hard and tough, but lighter in weight than Zambezi Teak.
Seat covers are UV stabilised, waterproof, ripstop canvas (double padded and quilted or single). Standard colours are Howard Green and Sand. For other colours please enquire and we will check on availability with Cedarbrook Fabrics.
Principal uses of the Standard Director’s Chair.
The Standard Director’s Chair is a more affordable version of the Safari Director’s Chair. It is an exceptionally tough, versatile and comfortable chair with wide seat that is suitable for use in private homes, in camps and lodges, around the bush fire or on boat cruises. It is often used in boardrooms and as desk chairs. The chair is comfortable for long ours spent working or watching and enjoying!
Director's Chair maintenance
Director's Chair maintenance
Your oiled African Touch Director’s Chair receives three applications of Satinwood 28 Base oil prior to delivery. Our outlets carry stock, or you can find it in most hardware shops in South Africa. We recommend you do one application on installation of the furniture. From time to time you will need to re-apply the oil. If the furniture is used outdoors, please do the re-application every 3 months. When in doubt, re-apply when the finish looks faded or dry. The recommended application procedure is as follows:
- Wipe surface down with a clean cotton cloth lightly moistened with mineral turpentine. (Ensure that all surfaces are completely dry and clean before proceeding with the next step)
- Use a clean cotton cloth or soft bristled brush dipped in the oil and apply in light, short strokes, ensuring thorough and even distribution of the oil.
- Leave the oil on the furniture for at least 1 to 2 hours (but not more than 24 hours), to allow absorption into the wood.
- Use a clean cotton cloth and wipe off all excess liquid to leave a natural smooth finish.
- Allow to dry for approximately 24 hours.
If the surface of your furniture becomes a bit grimy over time it can be very effectively cleaned with Deckwash from Timberlife. Apply with a clean cloth. Work in well over the total surface and wipe off all excess liquid.
If a wet glass or similar is left on the surface it may leave a watermark. In this case please wipe the water off as soon as possible, and if necessary apply some more Satinwood 28 base. If the mark is still slightly visible you can rub with a little baking soda mixed with an equal part of water, wipe off with a damp cloth and re-apply the oil.
For orders of 10 or more chairs we offer a 10% discount. For large orders including multiple products please contact us for our offer.
- Origin: Zimbabwe
- Finishes: Oil or White liming painted finish
- Seat Covers: UV stabilised, waterproof ripstop canvas (double padded, quilted or single).
- Seat Cover colours: Howard Green, Sand.
- Material: Saligna
Sizes & weights:
|Saligna||900mm (36”)||650mm (26”)||7.3kg (16lbs)|
- Great care is taken to build the chair with perfect mortice and tenon joints to ensure the maximum life of the chair. The material used to make our Standard chairs (saligna) is a long grained hardwood ideal for purpose as it has strength combined with flexibility.
- Please do not allow friends or guests to rock or lean back on the chairs as this places huge strain on the joints and backrest. In the event of the back support rail cracking due to excess pressure replacements can be ordered from the factory.
- Your Standard Director’s Chairs will be carefully packed in a double walled cardboard crate, 4 to a crate, padded with air-o-thene foam.
|920mm (37”)||560mm (23”)||940mm (38”)||34kg (75lbs)|
Approximate shipping costs (crate of 4 chairs):
|Australia New Zealand||$550.00|
|North, West East Africa||$550.00|
Enquiries and orders: Safari Director’s chairs are normally available ex -stock, but please allow a couple of weeks for the covers of your choice to be made up.
- Price excludes delivery / freight charges quoted separately.
- The following discounts apply for large orders:
- More than 10 chairs – 10%.
We cannot offer a warrantee on chairs except for defects in material and workmanship that affect the integrity of the chair under normal use and weight limits. The reason for this is that chairs can be subject to huge stresses (such as when a heavy person rocks back on the back legs) that are impossible to compensate for in the construction of the chair without compromising on the design appeal.
We build with timber harvested from natural forests. The charm of this material is that no two pieces are exactly the same in colour, character or grain, and they will contain natural imperfections such as knots, stress cracks and so on that enhance their authenticity and attractiveness. As a result no 2 pieces will ever be identical and products may have natural imperfections. However, these will never be allowed to compromise the quality of construction of your piece.
The African Touch will not in any circumstances be liable for any claim which falls outside the scope of our warranty or for any consequential damages whatsoever.
|Weight||10kg (22lbs)||7.3kg (16lbs)||6kg (13lbs)|
|Leather seat option||Yes||No||No|
|Suitable for commercial use||Yes||Yes||No|
|Weight limit||140kg (300lb)||120kg (260lb)||100kg (220lb)|
|Suitable for outdoor use||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Price single canvas||$ 140.00||$ 110.00||$ 100.00|