Our elegant, handmade version of The Spanish Chair retains all the classic features of Børge Mogensen’s famous 1950’s design, and is available in a variety of finishes – the perfect addition for indoor or outdoor enjoyment. Børge Mogensen was one of the most important among a generation of furniture designers who made the concept of “Danish Modern Design” known throughout the world.
In 1958, Danish furniture designer, Børge Mogensen, created a masterly interpretation of a traditional type of chair often found in areas influenced by ancient Islamic culture. Traditionally found decorated with elaborate carvings, Mogensens modernised the shape, while retaining the most important features: the broad armrests that give the chair character and provide a practical place to put a glass or cup; the perfectly angled seat and backrest that can be adjusted by loosening or tightening the straps holding them in place; and leg angles that not only provide excellent stability but also great style.
Our interpretation retains all the key features that make The Spanish Chair a classic.
The other element that makes The Spanish Chair such a timeless classic, in the tradition of Danish Modern Design, is the joinery skills used. The construction of the chair, the angles of the legs, cross beams and armrest when relative to each other, are difficult to cut accurately and assemble with stability. As with our The Spanish Chair, it should be assembled with tight fitting mortice and tenon joints. When built correctly, the chair will never come apart (unless severely mishandled!).
As always, construction is as important as design, and it’s these elements together that create lasting, durable pieces that can be enjoyed for generations.
The African Touch version is expertly handmade with close fitting, accurate joints before being carefully hand sanded in our finishing workshop. The finishes offered are oil and lacquer.
The oil finish brings out the wonderful grain of the timbers used in a natural manner. It is very easy to apply and gives a strong, rustic effect. It is ideal for use on patios, verandas and outdoors, as well as indoors.
The lacquer finish is only suitable for indoor use, but is not affected by watermarks and other blemishes. It also gives a beautiful colour and grain to the timber.
The timber we use
We handcraft The Spanish Chair in Zambezi Teak, African Bloodwood and African Mahogany.
- Zambezi Teak. Formerly known as Rhodesian Teak, (Baikiaea plurijuga) is a completely different species to Asian Teak, (Tecona Grandis), found native to Southeast Asia. It is a very much harder timber with a much more attractive, deep, rich golden red brown grain. This extreme density means that the timber is virtually indestructible.
- African Bloodwood. (Pterocarpus angolensis) is also known as kiaat or mukwa. It has a magnificent mixed coloration from creamy brown to dark ‘blood’ brown. The grain is fine and works well to give very good joints. The timber is much lighter weight than Zambezi Teak and so is suitable where chairs will be moved around regularly or for more elderly people.
- African Mahogany. (Afzelia quanzensis) Mahogany is the timber traditionally used for Campaign Furniture.
The covers offered.
Three options are available for the covers of this wonderful chair.
- Harness leather. We use the finest full thickness, pure veg tanned harness leather, 4 to 5 mm thick making it very durable. It has a rich brown colour and will last for generations if looked after. This natural material is the most comfortable seating material available in all climatic conditions, while enhancing your Spanish Chair as a truly luxurious classic.
- 4×4 Auto canvas. The most comfortable canvas option, developed for SUV vehicles.
- Cotton canvas. Our cotton canvas covers are made from the finest and most comfortable cotton based material. We manufacture with double thickness material sandwiching a comfortable padding to give a very comfortable seat.
- Ripstop canvas. The ripstop canvas is extremely strong and waterproof, making it ideal for chairs that will be used out of doors. It also comes padded and double sided.